WELCOME TO ELBERT COUNTY, GEORGIA!
Elbert County, Georgia, was founded in 1790 and named for General Samuel Elbert of the Revolutionary War. With a population of approximately 20,000, Elbert County has two cities. The city of Elberton is the county seat, and the city of Bowman is located north of Elberton on state highway 17. Other unincorporated communities include Dewy Rose, Fortsonia, Hard Cash, Middleton, Ruckersville, Rock Branch, and Petersburg.
Elbert County’s primary industry and natural resource is granite. Stone is quarried here and finished by many manufacturing companies before being shipped worldwide. Elbert County’s granite is known for its high quality, strength, and lack of variegation or streaks – making it ideal for monuments or gravestones and architectural applications. Agriculture is another major industry in Elbert County, with poultry operations leading the way.
In addition to employment opportunities, Elbert County has many resources for entertainment and recreation, including community theater, sports leagues, lakes for boating and fishing, wildlife management areas for hunting, and much more.